Chemicals Monitoring and Water Quality
The chemicals monitoring and water quality research group undertakes pure and applied researches to understand the levels and risks of emerging contaminants of global concern. We are interested in mapping contaminants including heavy metals, pesticides, PAHs, EDCs, PPCPs, PCBs in aquatic environment with a view of developing new sustainable materials for their removal. We also desire to understand how changing climate impacts movement, quality and quantity of water.
Our project aims to model sustainable methods for achieving cleaner water, safer and enough food, pollution reduction, ecological and health risk assessment of prevalent chemical contaminants in our aquatic environment.
We work in a broad range of environments: from streams, through agricultural soils, groundwater, rivers and wetlands, to the coastal waters. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of our research, we work with chemists, microbiologists, GIS experts, and social scientists.
Since our laboratory infrastructure is under development, we work with many foreign collaborators to achieve most of our research aims. These include Lancaster Environment Centre at Lancaster University, International Environmental Research Centre at Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) South Korea, etc.
Most of our researches and programmes have global relevance and have attracted funding supports from many organisations such as the TETfund, American Chemical Society (ACS), United Nations Office for South-South Co- operation, etc.
- Climate Variability in Relation to Floodplain Erosion and Water Quality Characteristics of the Ikpa River Basin (funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology South Korea through the International Environmental Research Institute Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology in 2018)
- Assessment of the occurrence and risks of emerging organic pollutants (EOPs) in Ikpa River Basin freshwater ecosystem, Niger Delta, Nigeria (funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology South Korea through the International Environmental Research Institute Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology in 2013 to 2015)
- Pesticide mapping of agricultural soils in agricultural zones in Akwa Ibom State (funded by TETFUND IBR 2017)
Dr. Edu Inam
Senior Lecturer, Analytical/Environmental Chemistry
Prof. Essien Udosen
Professor of Environmental Chemistry
Dr. Helen Etuk
Senior Lecturer, Inorganic/Environmental Chemistry
Dr. Nnanake Offiong
Senior Research Associate, Analytical/Environmental Chemistry
PhD Student/Research Assistant
MSc Student/Research Assistant
- Offiong, N.A., Fatunla, O.K., Essien, J.P., Yang, C. and Dong, J. (2021). Soil washing of total petroleum and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from crude oil contaminated ultisol using aqueous extracts of waterleaf. Environmental Technology, DOI:10.1080⁄09593330.2021.1961875
- Uwah, E. I., Okon, R. U., Udosen, E. D., & Udoidiong, O. M. (2021). Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometric Determination of Elements in Water, Fish and Sediment of Atabong River, Nigeria. Science, 9(4), 77-87.
- Uwah, E. I., Edem, E. M., Udosen, I. E., Udosen, E. D., Udoidiong, O. M., & Essien, A. M. (2021). Human health risk assessment of trace metals contamination in a tropical river. Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 46(1).
- Offiong, N.O., Inam, E., Etuk, H. S., Essien, J. P., Ofon, U. A., & Una, C.C. (2020). Biochar and humus sediment mixture attenuates crude oil-derived PAHs in a simulated tropical ultisol. SN Applied Sciences, 2, 1930.
- Inam, E. J., Edet, J. B., Akpan, P. E., & Ite, K. E. (2020). Characterization and equilibrium studies for the removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution using activated bone char. Journal of Material and Environmental Science, 11(10), 1667-1675.
- Uwah, E. I., Nwoke, I. B., Inam, E. J. Udosen, I. E, Udosen, E. D. (2020). Health risk assessment of heavy metal contamination in New Calabar river. Bulletin Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 105(2), 317 – 324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-020-02921
- Osadebamwen, E. I, Essiett, A. A., & Inam, E. (2020). An evaluation of the chemical and radiological effect of uranium in rainwater from selected areas in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Applied Science, 5(9), 53 - 56.
- Asukwo, E. G., Solomon, E. H., Udo, D. E., & James, E. K. (2020). Variations in the levels, source, cancer and non-cancer risks of trace metals in the local and exotic fruits. World Journal of Advanced Research and Reviews, 6(3), 275-288.
- Uwah, E. I., Etuk, H. S., & Udoh, E. O. A. (2020). Quantification and Risk Assessment of Some Trace Metals in Vegetables Obtained in Sand Mining Environment of Ukat Nsit, Nigeria. American Journal of Applied Chemistry, 8(6), 135-142.
- Asukwo, E. G., Solomon, E. H., Udo, D. E., & Douglas, U. M. (2020). A comparative study on the metal loads and related human health risks of toxic metals between the vegetables from Southern and Northern regions of Nigeria consumed in Akwa Ibom State. World Journal of Advanced Research and Reviews, 7(1), 057-072.
- Uwah, E. I., Edem, E. M., Udosen, I. E., Udosen, E. D., & Udoidiong, O. M. (2020). Quantification of Pollutant Levels in Water, Sediment and Winkles in Akani Obio Uruan River, Nigeria. Science, 8(2), 45-55.
- Offiong, N. O., Inam, E. J., & Edet, J. (2019). Preliminary review of sources, fate, analytical challenges and regulatory status of emerging organic contaminants in aquatic environments in selected African countries. Chemistry Africa (Springer), https://doi.org/10.1007/s42250-019-00079-6
- Inam, E. J., Nwoke, I. B., Udosen, E. D., & Offiong, N. A. O. (2019). Ecological risks of phenolic endocrine disrupting compounds in an urban tropical river. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 26(21), 21589-21597.
- Inam E., Nwoke I., Udosen E., & Offiong N., (2019). Ecological risks of phenolic endocrine disrupting compounds (EDCs) in urban tropical river. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (Springer nature), 26, 21589–21597
- Ehiwe O. I., Essiett A., Bede M. & Inam E. (2019). An assessment of radionuclide concentration and absorbed dose in rainwater from selected areas in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Global Scientific Journal, 7 (6), 285-298
- Offiong, N O, Inam, E J, Etuk, H S and Essien, J P (2019) Current status and challenges of remediating petroleum derived PAHs in soils Nigeria as a case study for developing countries, Remediation Journal, in-print
- Essien, J. P., Inam, E., Ikpe, D. I., Udofia,G. E., & Benson, N. U. (2019). Ecotoxicological status and risk assessment of heavy metals in municipal solid wastes dumpsite impacted soil in Nigeria. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, 11, 100215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enmm.2019.100215
- Benson, N. U., Adedapo, A. E., Fred-Ahmadu, O. H., Williams, A. B., Udosen, E. D., Ayejuyo, O. O., & Olajire, A. A. (2018). New ecological risk indices for evaluating heavy metals contamination in aquatic sediment: A case study of the Gulf of Guinea. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 18, 44-56.
- Inam, E., Etuk, I., Offiong, N. Kim, K.W., Kang, S. Y., Essien, J., (2018). Distribution and ecological risks of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sediments of different tropical water ecosystems in Niger Delta, Nigeria. Environmental Earth Sciences (Springer, Germany), 77(5), 216-229. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-7396-4
- Inam, E., Udo, O. O., Edet, J. B., Etim, U. J., Offiong, N. O. (2018). Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by humic acid extracted from freshwater river humus. Journal of Materials and Environmental Sciences (Morocco), 9(4), 1324-1334
- Inam, E., Innoh, G., Offiong, N. & Etim, B. B. (2017). Physicochemical characteristics and health risk assessment of drinking water sources in Okoroette community, Easter Coast of Nigeria. American Journal of Water Resources 5, 13-23
- Inam, E., Ibanga, F., Essien, J. (2016). Bioaccumulation and cancer risk of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in leafy vegetables grown in soils within automobile repair complex and environ in Uyo, Nigeria. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment (Springer), 188 (12), 681-690 DOI: 10.1007/s10661-016-5695-3
- Inam, E, Etim, U. J., Akpabio, E.G., & Umoren, S.A. (2016), Process optimization for Plantain peels carbon application in dye abstraction, Journal of Taibah University for Science (Elsevier), 11, 173-185
- Inam, E., Offiong, N., Essien, J., Kang, S., Kang, S. Y & Antia, B. (2016). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons load and potential risks in freshwater ecosystem of the Ikpa River Basin, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, (Springer) 188(1):49-64 DOI: 10.1007/s10661-015-5038-9
- Inam, E., Offiong, N., Kang, S., Yang, P., & Essien, J. (2015). Assessment of the occurrence and risks of emerging organic pollutants (EOPs) in Ikpa River Basin freshwater ecosystem, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, (Springer) 95(5), 624-631 DOI:10.1007/s000128-015-1639-9 (published online 04 September 2015)
- Essien, J., Inam, E., Abraham, N and Udofia, G. (2015). Enhanced biodegradation of PAHs using biosurfactant producing bacteria from a humic freshwater ecosystem of Eniong River, Itu – Nigeria. Journal of Global Ecology and Environment, 4(3):2454-2644
- Inam, E., Edet, J. B., & Offiong, N. (2015). Levels and occupational health risk assessment of trace metals in soils from automobile repair workshop village and environs in Uyo metropolis, Nigeria. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 9(7): 584-591
- Israel A. U. & Inam, E. (2014). Removal of Zinc from Aqueous Solution by Adsorption using Coconut Choir Dust (Residue and Extract), Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 39(1), 79-85
- Inam, Edu., Udoh, Inime I., Ite, Kufre E. & Inyang, Hilary (2014) Chemical and radiological health risks assessment of radionuclides in water sources in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, Proceedings of the IASTED (Canada) International Conference on Environment and Water Management (Africa EWRM 2014) September 1-3, 2014 Gaborone, Botswana, DO1:10.2316/P.2014.812-003, 6-13
- Inam, Edu., Owhoeke, Elechi & Essien, Joseph (2014). Human carcinogenic risk assessment of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in freshwater samples from Ogab/Egbema/Ndoni communities in Rivers State, Nigeria. Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 39(2), 15-22
- Inam, E., Etim, U.J. & Offiong, N.O. (2014). Assessment of human health risk associated with the presence of trace metals in groundwater supplies in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Nigeria. World Journal of Applied Science and Technology, (Nigeria)
- Bede, M.C., Essiett, A. A & Inam, E (2014). An Assessment of Absorbed dose and radiation hazard index from natural radioactivity in soils from Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Technology, UK, 4(3), 80-92
- Inam, E., Offiong, N. & Etim, U. (2014). Human health risk assessment of trace metals in some packaged water sold in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, UNIUYO Journal of Gender Studies, 2: 96-104
- Inam, E., Etim, U., Akpabio, E., & Umoren, S (2014). Simultaneous adsorption of lead (II) and 3, 7-bis (Dimethylamino)-phenothiazin-5-ium chloride from aqueous solution by activated carbon prepared from plantain peels. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(14):6540-6553 DOI: 10.1080//19443994.2015.1010236, 1-14